A group of artists in Portland, OR united by the ideals of intersectional feminism and the need to combat gender inequity in the art world.
Our collective goal is to increase the visibility of women, women-identifying, and gender non-conforming artists in Portland and beyond by curating public visual art exhibitions and events representing a community-minded and interdisciplinary approach. We seek to provide a platform for artists exploring urgent, contemporary issues via our artist-run gallery space in SE Portland.
We view Killjoy as a site of resistance and a space for collaborating voices.
Killjoy Collective celebrates and seeks to engage women — women of color, women of all ages, women of all shapes and sizes, women with visible and invisible disabilities, immigrant women, indigenous women, queer women, trans women, and those who refuse to be put in a box. Our organization is feminist, non-hierarchical, unmotivated by profit, and deeply committed to sustaining relationships with artists and audiences. Our artist-run space strives to connect emerging creatives with intrigued audiences in a fun and intimate environment.
Killjoy Collective is no longer active, but have no fear! Follow Fuller Rosen Gallery for continuing adventures in contemporary art.
Killjoy Collective WOMANIFESTO
1. Provide a platform in an alternative, artist-run space and curate works by women exploring urgent, contemporary issues.
2. Foster criticality, promote progressive language, and sponsor room for contemplation.
3. Connect audiences to artists who reveal hidden potentials, juxtapose disparate elements, destroy expectations, or surprise the senses.
4. Cultivate cooperation to stimulate supportive and creative networks in Portland, Oregon and beyond.
5. Employ strategic essentialism to dismantle toxic masculinity, highlight liminal spectrums, and diversify definitions.
6. Celebrate women!